*This post contains affiliate links. We receive a small commission when you purchase items through our site. This helps support the website and enables us to continue providing you quality information and product recommendations. Please read our disclosure policy for more information.
The Book: The Adventures of Grandfather Frog
The Adventures of Grandfather Frog is a classic story written by Thornton W. Burgess in 1915. This story tells the tales of Grandfather Frog and his careless, greedy, stubborn nature. He has plenty of troubles in his travels to the Great World and finds out that home is really the best place to be. Enjoy his bantering with Old Mister Toad, Danny Meadow Mouse, Jerry Muskrat and many more woodland creatures.
We have created an annotated version of The Adventures of Grandfather Frog ebook, that is available for purchase. Along with the original text, we included end-of-chapter question guides to help prompt discussion and gauge reading comprehension.
We highly recommend using the guide side by side with the website. Below you will find some other resources available to help you teach the moral lessons from this story, as well as online activities and book suggestions.
Visit us on Pinterest for more ideas and crafts!
Things to Talk About
- Look up the characters in the book your child may not already be familiar with, like Billy Mink and Jerry Muskrat. Let the kids see pictures so they can use their imaginations while listening to the story. Refer to our Character Page for more info.
- Discuss where Grandfather Frog lives (or read this book about pond life)
- Talk about the difference between tattling and concern (Chapter 3).
- What is a pollywog?
- In several chapters, we see that Grandfather Frog is continually making bad choices due to his stubbornness. Talk about what being stubborn means and how it can lead to trouble.
- What is the meaning of “Look before you leap”?
Arts & Crafts
- Sticky tongue frog craft
- Paper plate frog craft
- Printable heron craft
- Hovering hawk craft
- Make an origami frog that jumps
- Make frog footprints
English & Reading
- Alphabet match-up game
- Read Town Mouse, Country Mouse (book) and finger puppets to accompany book (similar comparison between Frog and Toad, Chapter 9)
- Frog hop blending words activity
- Frog and Toad writing prompt
- Frog life cycle sensory bin
- Frog Lifecycle Craft
- Frogs Life Cycle – Slideshow, Printables and Lapbook
- 3-D Frog Anatomy Interactive Notebook
- Frog Printables
- Free printable: Compare and contrast frogs and toads
- Frog unit study
- Frog jump and measure game
- Frog counting activity
- Counting game for preschoolers
- Create a frog number line
- Grow “patience candy” (Patience, Ch. 4)
- Activities to build listening skills (Attentiveness, Ch. 5)
- Bible based group activities to focus on blessings (Gratefulness and Contentment, Ch. 7)
- Activities to develop kindness (Kindness, Ch. 13)
- Team building activities and cooperative games (Teamwork and Cooperation, Ch. 15)
- Service project ideas for kids (Helpfulness, Ch. 18)
- Problem solving scenarios for discussion (Problem Solving, Ch. 21)
- Free frog activity books
- DIY frog toss game
- Teaching a child the Heimlich Maneuver
- Lesson plan activities for teaching the Heimlich Maneuver
- Teaching safety: lesson plans and activity ideas
Other Books to Read
More Themed Play
⇒ Check out our Pinterest page on Grandfather Frog!