*This post contains affiliate links. We receive a small commission when you purchase items through our site. This helps support the website and enables us to continue providing you quality information and product recommendations. Please read our disclosure policy for more information.
The Book: The Adventures of Chatterer the Red Squirrel
The Adventures of Chatterer the Red Squirrel was written by Thornton W. Burgess in 1915. Chatterer is a curious red squirrel who becomes careless and finds himself in a trap set by Farmer Brown’s Boy. He finds that over time, nothing (not even food) can take the place of his freedom. Trust and friendship evolve as Chatterer dreams of running free along the old stone wall again.
We are in the process of putting together an ebook which will include a question guide to help reading comprehension and prompt discussions. Once the ebook is available for purchase, we highly recommend using the guide side by side with the website. Below you will find some other resources available to help you teach the moral lessons from this story, as well as online activities and book suggestions.
Visit us on Pinterest for more ideas and crafts!
Things to Talk About
- Read about Chatterer
- Squirrel FAQ’s
- Read about weasels
- Find out the history of the corn crib and look at pictures
- Teach kids to care for animals
- Discuss Chatterer’s homesickness. Learn ways to prevent and help homesick kids.
Arts & Crafts
- Dixie cup squirrel craft
- Make a squirrel puppet
- Preschool squirrel tracing
- Leaf Squirrel Paper Craft
- Corn crafts and activities
- Corn husk doll
- Craft based off the book Scaredy Squirrel
- Squirrel sensory bin (based of off of the book Acorns Everywhere!)
- Animal behavior study on squirrels
- Squirrel field guide
- Squirrel lapbook
- Learning corn parts
- Squirrel number matching game
- Feed the squirrels counting activity
- Count and color squirrel and acorns
- Outdoor acorn math activities
- Squirrel play dough counting mat
- Measure the squirrel
- Scripture lesson on “minding your own business” (Discretion, Ch. 6)
- Activities to teach self control (Self Control, Ch. 9,10)
- Trust building activities for kids (Trust, Ch. 15)
- Tips for teaching kids to be kind to animals (Kindness/Trust, Ch. 15)
- Teaching kids to help others with Clifford and the Big Storm (Helpfulness, Ch. 19)
- Make squirrel sugar cookies
- Homemade squirrel feeders
- Teach about freedom with this book: Henry’s Freedom Box: A True Story from the Underground Railroad and this lesson plan.
Other Books to Read
More Themed Play
⇒ Check out our Pinterest Page on Chatterer!