*This post contains affiliate links. We receive a small commission when you purchase items through our site. This helps support the website and enables us to continue providing you quality information and product recommendations. Please read our disclosure policy for more information.
The Book: The Adventures of Reddy Fox
The Adventures of Reddy Fox, written by Thornton W. Burgess in 1913, takes us along with Reddy Fox as he learns valuable lessons from Granny Fox about escaping Bowser the Hound and what happens when you show off. Reddy finds himself in a few sticky situations that also include humorous interactions with other woodland creatures like Johnny Chuck, Peter Rabbit, and Unc’ Billy Possum.
We have created an annotated version of The Adventures of Reddy Fox ebook, that is available for purchase. Along with the original text, we included end-of-chapter question guides to help prompt discussion and gauge reading comprehension.
We highly recommend using the guide side by side with the website. Below you will find some other resources available to help you teach the moral lessons from this story, as well as online activities and book suggestions.
Visit us on Pinterest for more ideas and crafts!
Things to Talk About
- What is a red fox?
- What kind of dog is Bowser?
- What is a goshawk (Ch. 14)?
- Discussion questions by chapter
Arts & Crafts
- Fox Classroom Decor
- Letter F Fox Art (Kindergarten)
- Animal Finger Puppets
- Woodland Creature Masks
- Printable Fox Craft
- 10 Fox Crafts for Kids
- Draw a picture from the viewpoint of Ol’ Mistah Buzzard
- Fox Lapbook
- Animal Mini Reports
- Fox Study Guide
- Fox activities, printables, videos
- Watch and listen to a Woodpecker drumming
- Make an oscillating woodpecker
- Helping kids manage fear (Courage, Ch.1)
- Teaching children not to brag (Humility, Ch. 3)
- Attentiveness craft (animal ear hats) (Attentiveness, Ch. 6 & 7)
- Compassion activities (Compassion, Ch. 10)
- Activities and games for dealing with anger (Calmness, Ch.12)
- Gratitude activities for the classroom (Gratefulness, Ch. 12)
- Love your enemy lesson (Kindness, Ch. 15)
- Empathy activities (Empathy, Ch. 15)
- Ideas for teaching kids to obey (Obedience, Ch. 21)
- Helping kids cope with moving (Flexibility, Ch. 24)
- Fox Activity Pack
- Group Game: Fox and Rabbit
- Animals! Math and Literacy Activities
- Enemy Pie Book and activity
Other Books to Read
More Themed Play
⇒ Check out our Pinterest page on Reddy Fox! ⇐