*This post contains affiliate links. We receive a small commission when you purchase items through our site. This helps support the website and enables us to continue providing you quality information and product recommendations. Please read our disclosure policy for more information.
Old Mother West Wind was first published in 1910. This wonderful collection of stories written by Thornton W. Burgess has been a favorite over generations. Old Mother West Wind introduces many animal characters that later became books of their own. This is just the beginning of tales about Peter Cottontail, Reddy Fox, Jerry Muskrat, Johnny Chuck, and many more! In this book, Burgess tells us why Grandfather Frog has no tail, why Jimmy Skunk’s family was given stripes, how Spotty the Turtle wins a race, and so many more endearing stories about woodland creatures.
Dover Children’s Thrift Classics have a wonderful version for sale on Amazon.com. I love adding these little books to my library.
This book is also in the public domain and available for free download HERE.
Things to Talk About
- Discussion questions by chapter
- Preparing a child on how to get help if they get lost
- Vocabulary list
Arts & Crafts
- Make your own speckled eggs
- Animal crafts for kids
- Pond coloring page to add your own animals or stickers
- Animal track art project
- Use play dough for making animal footprints.
- Woodland animal coloring pages
- Woodland creature masks
- Make your own animal track stamps
- Learning About Habitats
- Create a clover sensory tub. Look for clovers in the yard.
- Groundhog/Woodchuck activity worksheet
- Learn about beetles
- Kid Activities: Insects and Bugs
- Build a Habitat Diorama Project
- Mama’s & Babies Science Matching Game
- Animal notebooking page
- Lily Pad Game
- Hoppy Frog Math Game
- Forest Animal-Themed Kindergarten Math Worksheets
- Forest animal skip counting puzzles
- Aesop’s Fox and the Crow video to help discuss vanity/flattery (Humility, Ch.2)
- How to be a good neighbor (Neighborliness, Ch.4)
- Activity ideas for teaching determination (Determination, Ch.7)
- Activities to encourage thoughtfulness (Thoughtfulness, Ch. 11)
- Contentedness lessons and activities (Contentment, Ch. 13)
- Teaching kids to be resourceful (Resourcefulness, Ch. 16)
- Forest animal memory game printable
- Magic School House Nature Bundle
- Water activities for kids
- Indoor water play ideas
- Fun things to do with friends
Other Books to Read
More Themed Play
⇒ Visit us on Pinterest for more ideas and crafts!