*This post contains affiliate links. We receive a small commission when you purchase items through our site. This helps support the website and enables us to continue providing you quality information and product recommendations. Please read our disclosure policy for more information.
The Adventures of Johnny Chuck written by Thornton W. Burgess was first published in 1913. In this story, Spring has arrived and after spending all winter hibernating, Johnny Chuck decides that he is dissatisfied with his home and sets out to find a new place to live. His search leads him to a run-in with another woodchuck on the Green Meadows, a snake, and a female chuck that gives him a new purpose for finding the perfect place to settle down.
Things to Talk About
- What is a woodchuck?
- What is a hyla (now called a Spring Peeper)?
- How were the Green Meadow and Green Forest changing from winter to spring?
- Have you ever heard a “laughing brook“?
Arts & Crafts
- Groundhog Day Pudding
- Groundhog Paper Bag Puppet
- Draw your own Groundhog
- Free Color by Number Groundhog Pages
- Sunshine Shadow Tracing
- Bravery Medal Craft
English & Reading
- Craft and Writing Activity
- Printable Storybook and Questions
- Holiday Stories: Groundhog Day with Questions
- Vocabulary and Writing
- Free Printable: Animals in Winter
- Hibernation Science Experiment
- Read Over and Under the Snow or Animals in Winter
- Watch this video to learn more about groundhogs
- Free Printable Groundhog Book
- Shadow Activity Science Experiments
- Weather Report for Groundhog’s Day
- Homemade Weather Vane and Compass Activity
- Cultivating Contentment in Kids (Contentment, Ch. 5)
- Coaching Children to Resolve Conflicts (Problem Solving, Ch. 7)
- 50 Activities and Games to Deal with Anger (Calmness, Peacefulness, Self Control, Ch. 10)
- Love Crafts and Activities for Kids (Love, Ch. 11)
- Lesson Ideas to Teach Courage (Courage, Bravery, Ch. 12)
- Teaching Kids Good Work Ethic (Responsibility, Ch. 22)
- Bible Based Obedience Games and Activities (Obedience, Ch. 23)
Other Books To Read
⇒ Check out our Pinterest page for Johnny Chuck!